The role of supervisors and managers is critical in the redressal and prevention of sexual harassment in the workplace:
- It gives the employee an opportunity to assess whether the organization is supportive of such matters and builds the confidence to approach the committee It ensures that the committee accepts all complaints of employees and takes action.
- The committee may also request the support of the supervisor, manager concerned in counselling and conciliation of the alleged harasser
- The supervisor may ensure that there is no backlash on the employee that has complained and in monitoring further unacceptable behavior
- Such staff in senior positions understand and identify the nuances of sexual harassment
- Senior staff and committee members discuss informal mechanisms for the prevention of sexual harassment in the workplace. It is to be noted that for the informal mechanisms to function effectively, supervisors, managers and other staff need to be properly trained, in areas such as grievance handling which maintains confidentiality, counselling, and gender sensitivity, that are critical elements in playing out this role.
In the event that a senior staff, supervisor or manager is approached for advice regarding a case of sexual harassment, she/he may give a patient hearing to the individual concerned. After assuring the necessary support in taking this matter forward, the employee must be encouraged to take the issue to the committee, in order that it can be established whether or not it is a case of sexual harassment (in case there is a lack of clarity) and further that appropriate action may be initiated by the committee.
The materials on this web site have been prepared by Serein Inc. for informational purposes only and are not legal advice or a substitute for legal counsel. Reader should not rely or act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.
Serein Inc is an end to end service partner for the implementation of Prevention of Sexual Harassment (PoSH) legal compliance. We partner with companies on case redressal and policies to proactively build safer work cultures and sexual harassment (PoSH) trainings either in person or virtually. For more details on diversity, inclusion and prevention of sexual harassment (PoSH training in India and the US) send us a note at email@example.com